Protecting Your Retirement Assets In Divorce

When couples go through a divorce, they often have one main goal: to put this issue behind them and move on. At Sabharwal Law Offices, we want to make sure that happens efficiently, cost-effectively and in our clients’ best interests, but we are careful to keep our clients’ long-term well-being in mind in every legal decision.

Community Property And Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs) In California

As you work through complex property division issues, you are likely going to focus on the community property and current assets that you and your spouse share. California is a community property state in which all property acquired during a marriage is considered property of the couple. This means retirement benefits accumulated during the marriage may be part of the property division agreements, and must be outlined in a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). A QDRO is a legal document used to outline the division of pension funds for divorcing couples. There are many tax implications associated with how these funds are divided, so make sure to work with an attorney who understands the nuances of this particular area of law.

Separate Property And Marital Asset Division

If you choose to argue that certain property is separate and not subject to community property laws, there must be a clearly defined way to track the source of property. Collecting this information is often an arduous process and requires help from an experienced lawyer who knows how to uncover ownership information and clearly present it in courtroom proceedings and settlement negotiation.

Attorney Sunena Sabharwal has three decades of experience in complex divorce cases throughout the Walnut Creek, the East Bay and surrounding areas of California. Over the years she has helped countless clients find favorable resolutions in sensitive and complex financial disputes. Clear communication with clients, personal attention and in-depth analysis are the cornerstones of every case we handle.

Contact Our Lawyer For Help With Property Division Issues

When you contact our office, you will be able to work directly with the attorney who represents you. Contact us online or call 510-969-2109 to arrange an initial consultation.